Young Athlete Assistance Program
Helping our kids to excel in sport
This Program assists young athletes in Queensland who have competed at a State or State School Championship, National or National School Championship or International Championship.
Applicants eligible for support are those who:
- within the last 6 months have competed or officiated at a:
- Queensland State Championship
- Queensland State School Championship
- Australian National Championship
- Australian National School Championship
- International Championship
Check here to see if your championship is eligible . If your State Championship is not included on this list, please contact your State or National Sporting Organisation.
- are residents of Queensland for more than 12 months preceding the championship;
- are under the age of 18 at the start of the championship;
- reside more than 200km radial distance from the championship location for the one-way trip (to check distances go to As the Cocky Flies);
- have their participation or service at the Queensland State or State School Championship, Australian National or National School Championship or International Championship confirmed by the president (or other committee member), coach or manager of their local club or relevant regional, State or National Sporting Organisation; or have their participation at a Queensland State School or Australian National School Championship confirmed by their principal, coach or team official;
- do not hold a current Queensland Academy of Sport Scholarship.
Scope of financial assistance
- Financial assistance of $200 is available to assist with the cost of travel and accommodation for the eligible championship.
- A list of the eligible championships, as nominated by Queensland School Sport Unit or the relevant State or National Sporting Organisation, is published under the "Eligibility" section above.
- Athletes are only eligible to receive financial assistance once every two years from the start date of an eligible championship. Considerations will be made for applications for championships associated with the Easter holiday period.
- Lodging an application does not guarantee funding.
- Applications will not be considered before the start of a championship. As the funding is provided retrospectively, applicants are required to use their own resources to travel to championships.
How to apply
- You can apply to the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing after attending the eligible championship.
- Each application must be endorsed by the athlete's parent or guardian and participation at the championship confirmed by the relevant organisation.
- Applicants will receive written notification of the outcome of their application.
- If successful, you will be paid by electronic funds transfer.
- Application form Printable version download to complete your application by hand
- Application form Electronic Word version download to complete your application electronically
For more information, download the guidelines or call 1300 656 191.