Fraser Island, Great Sandy National Park
Tag-along tours are one of the many types of tours available that offer visitors a great Fraser Island experience. Photo: Queensland Government
- Survive your drive
Four-wheel-driving on Fraser Island can be dangerous.
Three people died in crashes on Fraser Island in 2009 alone, so take sand driving seriously.
- To help keep visitors safe, new laws are in place for 4WD hire vehicles. See the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) website for more information.
- Four-wheel-driving is different to driving a normal car and handling can be difficult. Slow down, pack light and store gear inside the car.
- Stick to the speed limit. In good conditions, 80km/hr on the beach and 30km/hr on inland tracks. Remember: slower is safer.
- Do not drive along the foredunes to avoid the high tides. Your vehicle can subside in the softer sands, become unstable and roll-over causing serious injury or death.
- For essential safety tips view the safety video Drive to survive on Fraser Island
- Read the brochure Survive your drive on Fraser Island, for specific sand-driving tips for Fraser Island.
- For more information see driving on sand.
- Conditions report
- Fraser Island dingoes
Facilities and activities
Approximately 300km north of Brisbane
Long beaches, dramatic coloured-sand cliffs, natural sandblows, rocky headlands and pristine freshwater lakes and streams are some of Fraser Island’s spectacular natural features.
- Fraser Island conditions report (updated fortnightly)
- Fraser Island map
- Fraser Island Visitor Guide
- Dingo safety video
- About Fraser Island dingoes
- Be dingo-safe! flyer
- Safety video clips
- Frequently asked questions
- Survive your drive on Fraser Island
- Fires prohibited regulatory notice
- Marine stingers warning notice
- Restricted access area on Indian Head
- Maheno access prohibited
- Fire management brochure
- Fraser Island publications
- Fraser Island World Heritage Area
- Fraser Island Great Walk
- Teachers' and group leaders' package
- Species lists
* Requires Adobe Reader
† Requires an appropriate media player