Fraser Island, Great Sandy National Park
Tag-along tours are one of the many types of tours available that offer visitors a great Fraser Island experience. Photo: Queensland Government
- Northern Fraser Island - Road, day-use and camping area closures - 5 December 2013 until further notice
- Dingo safety December 2013 to February 2014
- Fire Prohibition - Fraser Island, Cooloola Recreation Area and Inskip Peninsula Recreation Area
- Temporary closure of Fraser Island Great Walk, Cooloola Great Walk and Cooloola Wilderness Trail - due to high fire danger conditions
- Sandy Cape turtle rookery seasonal vehicle restriction
- Conditions report
- Survive your drive
Fraser Island’s beaches and sand tracks are rough and only suitable for high clearance 4WD vehicles with low range capacity. All-wheel drive vehicles are not recommended.
Four-wheel-driving on Fraser Island can be dangerous.
People have died in crashes on Fraser Island, so take sand driving seriously.
To help keep visitors safe, new laws are in place for 4WD hire vehicles. See the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) website for more information.
Driving on sand:
- Four-wheel-driving on sand is different to driving a normal car and handling can be difficult. Slow down, pack light and store gear inside the car.
- Stick to the speed limit. In good conditions, 80km/hr on the beach and 30km/hr on inland tracks. Remember: slower is safer.
- Do not drive along the foredunes to avoid the high tides. Your vehicle can subside in the softer sands, become unstable and roll-over causing serious injury or death.
- For essential safety tips view the safety video Drive to survive on Fraser Island
- Read the brochure Survive your drive on Fraser Island, for specific sand-driving tips for Fraser Island.
- For more information see driving on sand.
- Fraser Island dingoes
Facilities and activities
Approximately 300km north of Brisbane
Long beaches, dramatic coloured-sand cliffs, natural sandblows, rocky headlands and pristine freshwater lakes and streams are some of Fraser Island’s spectacular natural features.
- Fraser Island conditions report (updated fortnightly)
- Fraser Island map
- Fraser Island Visitor Guide
- Dingo safety video
- About Fraser Island dingoes
- Be dingo-safe! flyer
- Safety video clips
- Frequently asked questions
- Survive your drive on Fraser Island
- Fires prohibited regulatory notice
- Marine stingers warning notice
- Restricted access area on Indian Head
- Maheno access prohibited
- Fire management brochure
- Fraser Island publications
- Fraser Island World Heritage Area
- Fraser Island Great Walk
- Teachers' and group leaders' package
- Species lists
* Requires Adobe Reader
† Requires an appropriate media player